michelle’s top ten favorite disney movies ► 3.
the little mermaidHave you lost your senses completely? He’s a human, you’re a mermaid!
“If only, if only, ” the woodpecker sighs
“The bark on the tree was as soft as the skies.”
While the wolf waits below, hungry and lonely,
He cries to the moon “If only, if only.”
Man comments “boobies :p” on attractive female friend’s new profile picture in vain hope of creating sexual dynamic
One thing I’ve always noticed is how some people find it amazingly difficult to write pregnant characters. A couple of months ago I wrote a full story about a pregnancy, and I did my research. So I might be able to help.» Make sure you want to do this
Keep in mind that a pregnancy isn’t the easiest thing in the world. It takes doctor appointments, a lot of exhaustion, sickness and, most importantly, time. If you didn’t know, it takes about nine months for a baby to be born. That’s almost 275 days. That means that you should only go on if you really want to create a baby in your story, because you can’t skip too much time - it isn’t like the movies where in one scene the lady’s finding out she’s pregnant, and in the other, she’s already in labor.
Here’s a tip: if you really want to make your characters happy and thrilled with the news of baby, but you can’t afford the time and sweat that it takes to cook one, you have from 21-23 weeks to write a miscarriage.» Pre-Pregnancy
Let’s talk about the elephant in the room: the conception. Even if you don’t write any kind of smutty scenes, you should let the reader know when and where the pregnancy started.
Unprotected Sex: think about how you’re going to put this in your story. If your characters are usually responsible, they won’t simply forget wearing a condom. Think about what is going on: are they completely sane? Are they under the influence of alcohol? Are they high (which, I must say, wouldn’t exactly make your characters irresponsible - it would either get them too horny to care or even more responsible than they already are)? Or are your characters already drowned to each other in a way that they can’t think of anything else? Are they married and actually planned on having this baby? All of this will have an influence on how the pregnancy will flow, and how it will affect people around it.
if u ever purposefully hurt an animal in front of me i will punch u so fuckin fast ill break the fuckin sound barrier dont fuckin test me watch ur back pal
It doesn’t seem dated, your attitude is dated. This is the 21st century.
Women deserve to be in STEM programs just as much as men. I’d wager they deserve to succeed in the Sciences even more than men because of the sexism and misogyny they experience.
They struggle to get in because they’re the minority, and a lot of people who could admit them are sexist (regardless of gender) because of the society they grew up in. Its not through any intellectual weakness. These women are amazing and just as smart as the men in their fields.
You have no right to say these things to these amazing women, many of whom I consider to be friends.
Wow. That seems like really fucking wrong. And offensive.
And I would love to take some more time out of my day to be pissed about it.
It seems that I have a lot of fucking science to do.
So, uh, screw that.
If anybody needs me, me and my lady bits will be getting some fucking science done.
I’m oddly excited to have been name checked by this shitty anon. Because it means that the very fact that I got into an Ivy League, top 15 science PhD program (where I fucking belong) is a giant fuck you to shitty anon. Also, shitty anons make Lewis sad. Because Lewis is a feminists science hippo.
Best way for me to deal with shitty nonnies who think women can’t do science? DO MORE SCIENCE!!!! MWAHAHAHA
Crap, I’m a woman biologist. I’d go get another career but I have a groundbreaking thesis on rapid evolution of reproductive isolation between seed beetle populations to finish.
I’m not a well-known tumblr scientist…but I am a scientist all the same. And while I could probably obtain a more gender-appropriate occupation… I’m pretty content with the fact I’m an atmospheric chemist Additionally, I am also one of the few women who have managed to be selected to intern at NASA’s airborne research program.
Do I not deserve a place in the STEM fields, anon?
Hey ladies! Mind if some physicists join in?
At the CERN visiting the CMS part of the LHC where were were working for 8 months on both computational and experimental work:
Presenting our research at a conference on Physics of Living Systems:
And visiting the Wind Tunnel experiment after presenting our research at Max Planck Institute at a Advances in Cardiac Dynamics Workshop
Oh, me? What do I do? I try to understand why superbursts happen in neutron stars! This is important because: they shouldn’t happen but they do. And the implications could be astoundingly helpful for things like, oh I don’t know, nuclear fusion.
Oh, just me, at a conference after presenting this:
"don’t belong there"?! excuse you!
Im not a science tumblr but i am a girl and a geologist so i kinda prove you wrong…?
In the Sorbas Basin finding fossilised bird trackways and fossilised rain drops
Using HCl to dissolve solnhofen plattenkalk (limestones) to make plastic copies of exceptional fossils
On board the HMS Discovery, a state of the art scientific ship which anchors at the NOC (national oceanography centre Southampton)
Doing some geological mapping and fieldwork in Ingleton Yorkshire
So yeh anon, you’re wrong and very very very outdated in your opinions
oh wow this anon thinks that women don’t belong in STEM—
better throw my archaeology B.A. in the trash, burn my thesis and stop teaching biology, chemistry and physics to the 8-12th grades.
SCIENCE TO DO
NO TIME FOR SEXIST MAN CHILD ANONS
oh I guess I should burn the cheque I got for guest lecturing in grad school too—
Sorry, no time to answer douchey anon. To busy getting paid handsomely to do research things like this
While dressed fabulously like this
Because unlike the bullshit movies would tell you, geologists don’t wear white lab coats. Something to do with all that dirt.
I’d tell my grad school and all the funding bodies that gave me a fellowship and research grants that they were totally mistaken because girls don’t science well except OOPS ALREADY GOT MY MS IN GEOLOGY, TOO LATE.
Well darn. Guess I better just get back to doing science instead.
I just got crushes on like eight people at once. Fuck yeah science ladies of tumblr.
↳ favorite underrated villain: dr.facilier
remember when we were kids and we used to all sing that demented version of the barney song where it was like “i hate you you hate me let’s go out and kill barney”
i don’t remember ever doing this. you were a fucked up kid
i hate you
you hate me
let’s go out an kill barney
with a baseball bat
and a 4x4
NO MORE PURPLE DINOSAUR
i hate you
you hate me
let’s get together and kill barney
with a big fat gun
and shoot him on the head
now barney is a-all dead
i hate you
you hate me
let’s get together and kill barney
with a 2-by-4
and knock him to the floor
NO MORE BIG FAT DINOSAUR
Essential Productivity Apps for any student:
- Caffeine- Prevents your screen from going into sleep mode. Great if you’re writing notes on an article and the screen keeps dimming, whilst you hope that if you stare long enough, the phrase “homologous ways to a view of hegemony” will start to make sense.
- Flux- If you find that you can’t sleep for ages after studying late at night, then this app is a total game changer. It basically turns the light on the screen red, because science people say that blue light keeps you awake and red light doesn’t. (*Full Disclosure* I’m not a scientist)
- Focusbar- The annoying voice of your mother nagging you to finish your homework…in app form. You can set the annoying level (I have it set on “wildly annoying”) and a bar will appear in the corner every few seconds to remind you that you’re supposed to be doing something else besides looking at cat photos.
- Microsoft Office- self explanatory, so I’ve linked to an article about life hacks for Microsoft Office instead. Because I’m just that awesome.
- Nag- Does your 5 minute study break keep turning into an hour on Youtube? Then you need Nag in your life. It’s basically an alarm/timer. But an extremely loud and annoying alarm/timer that’s very difficult to ignore. The bells genuinely sound more judgemental the longer you ignore it.
- Self Control- Also known as Cold Turkey for Microsoft users. If you absolutely cannot be trusted with an internet connection, then you need Self Control in your life. You add a list of websites to the “blacklist”and then set how long you want the app to work for, and for that duration of time you wont be able to access those website. Seriously, not even rebooting your computer or uninstalling the app will let you access the blacklist until your time is up. Tough love at its finest.
- Zotero- The new love of my life. Zotero allows you to manage all your citations and sources in one easy place. It’s an absolute life saver- no joke. There’s an in-word add in, so it will write your bibliography and citations for you in any format you want. There’s a chrome/firefox add in and a mobile app, so you don’t even have to type the citation into Zotero. Just press the button it does all the hard work for you. It even updates itself online, so you can still access your bibliography if your computer crashes. I <3 Zotero 5eva.
I AM SO FUCKING SICK OF THE NOTION THAT ONLY THOSE WHO DON’T WANT POWER ARE DESERVING OF IT.
Occasionally it works out, fine, but someone who doesn’t have a passion for leadership is going to do very poorly at the top. Because that shit’s hard, it is ungodly hard, and only if you’re truly committed to it are you going to be any good at it. Someone who just accidents their way into it is going to drop the ball, not to mention the fact that they haven’t prepared themselves for the task, so they’re untrained and untried.
Ambition is not a bad thing. Ambition for power is not a bad thing. Being ruthless and cutthroat and amoral, sure, but not ambitious.
And yet again and again and again and again and again I see books where only the person who doesn’t want the job is considered good enough to have it. And I think it’s born out of this idea that ambition is evil, but at the same time they need to be in charge for the story to work, so we end up with this fucking trope that is literally the opposite of sense-making."
A nice pair of green eyes can and will cloud my judgement